Self-Assessment

When finishing my freshman year semester in college and taking both English classes in each semester.  My writing has been getting better through learning different types of techniques. The thing I always struggled with in my high school career was analyzing and getting my ideas clear to the audience. When my professor was teaching us the method of paraphrasing. Making our analysis connect more deeply and how to synthesize certain sentences we have. I was able to improve my writing skill. I’m still trying to improve on it but throughout the essay I can see the process getting better. One major I still struggle to this day is just rereading my work. Overall the college techniques I’ve been learning are making my writing be at a higher level. 

One aspect or technique is the concept of synthesizing my sentences and my ideas. One thing I realize throughout my papers is that I will drag out my ideas throughout my sentences. Making the reader confused on the point in which I want to talk about. With learning how the skill of synthesizing was able to achieve my goal of making the reader understand my point. The part of synthesizing that made my writing better was replacing words. I will start implanting adverbs, conjugation words, etc. By doing that I’m able to take out unnecessary words which helped me deliver on points clearly. While re reading my work I can see the process of synthesizing. It’s a great technique I learned and made me able achieve my goal of making the reader understand my ideas.

Another aspect that helped me improve my writing is analyzing the right way and using evidence. In high school I was taught to analyze the evidence but in college it is different. When you are analyzing you don’t have to break down the evidence. The evidence is just a separate sentence itself. With evidence your quotes should be 1 or 2 sentences.it better if you paraphrase the evidence you have.that’s a skill I want to master in how I can paraphrase correctly. It’s way better to paraphrase because it connects more with your analysis.When analyzing you should bring up a new concept. Should not repeat what the evidence says. Within the essay of critical analysis I was able to practice on analyzing. By doing that essay I’m able to get the concept of analyzing from a different perspective. How to  write evidence correctly, not too long or just paraphrase.  

Finally getting better on incorporating the elements of pathos,ethos,logos and engaging my reader. In the start of my first semester I was not the best of using this concept. Within my second semester I’m getting a better grasp on using this skills. One technique I learned to grab my audience is to keep a flow of a story throughout my essay. Not just throwing random idea in a paragraph but use the ideas in a current situation. As a side note my professor told me to break down my paragraphs and not make it to long. That helps keep the audience more engaged as well. Being able to keep the reader engaged with the essay comes with the elements of pathos,ethos,logos. The one element I struggle with is the ethos where I don’t make the reader believe that I’m actually know what I’m talking about. So with the narrative essay it helped me build that skill up since it’s events and beliefs that come from me. I realize that I can do that with all my essays. If I’m able to relate to the topic of the essay I can get the reader to believe that I know what I’m talking about. Not a person that will go on and on rambling about nonsense. That is tied in with pathos and logos since if I’m making my reader engage in the paper and putting in my beliefs.I’m able to get the reader to feel the emotions and believe my evidence is real. Making my essays shorter and organizing my ideas will keep the reader really in tune with my essay.

The techniques I learned in my English class are able to improve the way I can write future papers. It helped me with the struggles I had with making the reader engaging with my paper. Implanting more of the elements such as pathos,ethos, and logos. Learning the concept of paraphrasing and synthesizing. Being able to write these past essays helped me get better at these techniques. Overall, taking this English class has increased my level of my writing.